Low fuel = high resistance = 60-86 ohms
    Full fuel = low resistance = 8-12 ohms.

For all clusters on '90+ panthers (including '89 TC):
    Empty = 15 ohms
    Full = 160 ohms

IIRC, '88 and down TC with digital cluster is something like:
    Empty is about 15-20 ohms
    Full is about 220ish ohms

I believe I had DerekTheGreat lookup the '89 TC sending unit range in his '89 TC EVTM which confirmed the measurements that I was reading of 15 ohms empty and 160 ohms full on the unit I pulled from the analog '89 TC. I don't recall if '89 TC with digital cluster used the same range or if it stayed the same as the '88 and down TC digidash sending unit.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Alright, looks like we're in business then. Thanks for the info, saves me a bunch of headaches. Now let's hope the sender I can get from the parts car is actually good and the lockring will not be a rusty nasty bitch.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

My manual is for an '88... I need to get an '89. I could find and post the numbers from that if desired.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Just gonna point out something here that I didn't read mentioned already. 89- is mechanical speedometer, 90+ is electronic, so you'll need to make sure you have the right VSS installed and probably run a couple wires. If the 89 already has cruise it might be the right VSS as it is, I'm not sure if the output for cruise is the same one used for the speedometer on 90+, but it's something to look into.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            My manual is for an '88... I need to get an '89. I could find and post the numbers from that if desired.
            Maybe it wasn't you, but I'm pretty sure someone verified through their '89 TC EVTM for me.

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
            Just gonna point out something here that I didn't read mentioned already. 89- is mechanical speedometer, 90+ is electronic, so you'll need to make sure you have the right VSS installed and probably run a couple wires. If the 89 already has cruise it might be the right VSS as it is, I'm not sure if the output for cruise is the same one used for the speedometer on 90+, but it's something to look into.
            90+ use the same VSS the only difference is 90+ have a removable cap/plug that plugs the hole for the mechanical speedo cable. I never thought about if the car doesn't have cruise, but that makes sense that the wires may not be there if it is a non-cruise car.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Correct on the VSS, both of you - I have seen (once) non-cruise VSS with no wiring, most Panthers I think do come with Cruise standard tho, and so the wires are there. This one has the e-VSS and cable, gonna pull the cable for cleanness sake. Also will need to run some wires anyways, fuel flow from the ECM is probably gonna be needed since this one did not have a proper tripminder, just a digi-clock.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
              X