PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Keyless Entry Control module location?

Default Keyless Entry Control module location?

My new to me '89 Town Car Signature has keyless entry, but I don't have the code to open it. I know from past ford cars I've owned which had keyless entry, that they put a sticker on the passenger side trunk hinge which has the code listed on it. It's been peeled off on mine, so no dice there. I also know that the code is printed on the outside front of the Keyless entry control module box, so that's what I'm trying to find now. Anyone know exactly where this module lives within the car? That should give me my code.
    89 Lincoln Town Car Signature Ragtop

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Module lives on the passenger side, up in the kick panel area kind of forward of the glove box. If you flip the glove box all the way out you may be able to see it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Uh, you should have asked us directly or checked the owner's manual first

The orig. owners put the sticker in the owners manual on the page for it. Don't need to go tearing into the interior trim for it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

So that explains where that sticker went, lol. Someone took it off the trunk hinge arm and taped it on the keyless entry page inside the manual. First time I've seen that done. Saves me the trouble of dropping the glovebox now at least. I'll be taking the interior completely apart for detail cleaning anyway. Seats, Carpet and plastic interior trim panels out etc.. I'm kinda OCD about cleaning when I first get a car.
    89 Lincoln Town Car Signature Ragtop

I post a lot...

The stickers were supposed to be given to the new owner to put where they thought best. It became a common practice for the dealer to suggest the deck lid arm or place it there for them. Another popular place was inside the glove box or behind it where it could be seen. Some folks just left the uninstalled stickers stuck in the manual. There were more then 1 supplied.
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

The Keyless Entry Number is on the Keyless Entry Module which is behind the drivers door panel in every car I've ever seen.
    Maybe TC's are different?

I post a lot...

They had the number on the module for many years. Then they stopped putting the number on it from many reports. Does not mean it is not somewhere else. The 2012 Escape has it upside down in small print on the smart junction box which lives under the center console.
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

Quote Originally Posted by mcninetyone View Post
    The Keyless Entry Number is on the Keyless Entry Module which is behind the drivers door panel in every car I've ever seen.
    Maybe TC's are different?
    No modules in the door in any Box Panther.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 | 85 Ranger | 91 GM | 97 CV

+1 only aeros and whales for behind the driver door panel. Boxes are way different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I can personally say it's where gadget says it is on box TC's. I pulled a spare from a yard last year or the year before and that's where it was.

One nice thing about those modules, they're sort of primitive inside. If you're a bit savvy with a soldering iron you can change the permanent code to whatever you like, or decipher what it is if there is no sticker. Somewhere I drew up a diagram with how it all works but basically its a number of diodes that determine what digit each position wants to see, and they are grouped in a fairly obvious order so you can figure out which digit is which set of parts.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

3 out of 4 vehicles I've owned have been Box Panthers. VicCrownVic's Avatar

Derek, if you still have that spare and ever want to open it up, I have soldering equipment...
    Plug the spare in, make sure it works, then modify.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, alternate DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe Winter DD - Down... again... Fn POS
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I believe I do!
    That's great to hear, gadget, I might just have to test the spare when I find it. The one my car was born with doesn't do the auto-lock thing when you throw it in gear like Ashley's old 89 does. Unit I pulled was from an '89 if that makes any difference. I think I started a thread on this way back and the consensus was that they have had the autolock feature since '85 at least. Only thing that makes me think to the contrary is my owner's manual says nothing about it whereas Ashley's had a whole page dedicated to it.

possibly the lock relay is questionable, though if you can get the doors to lock with the button, its working. It relies on input from the reverse light switch and the seat switch too, so if either of those are dinked it won't lock. Not totally sure, but given Ford's penchant for doing stupid things, it may get retarded with LED lights in the reverse light spot. Just a thought in case you have those. I know the cruise control goes stupid if all of the brake lights are LED. One normal bulb is enough to make it work though.

Honestly i dislike that feature. You can program it off, and I always did that on the Mark VII because it pisses me off to be trapped in the car.

Growing up around and in Detroit makes me want doors that lock and so I always end up locking them anyway. I've had people come up to our cars in the past and last thing I want them to be able to do is open the door. Lincolns and probably boxes in general are sweet in the sense that if you go to open the door while locked it unlocks and opens the door as you pull the handle. When I go from driving our Ford truck to the Chevy one that's one thing that irritates me about the Chevy- it doesn't do that.

Anyway, with the stock module it will lock and unlock the doors with the buttons and will also pop the trunk as well as turn the interior lights & key ring lights on. I might just leave it be seeing as that's the way it was intended to be. No LED's but I do have Sylvania silver stars in the ditch light & reverse light sockets.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 03-23-2017 at 06:33 AM.