PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: August 25, 2018 - Metro Detroit Meet?

Well, if I'm in my Lincoln I can't be bothered to get gritty & greasy. Prim & proper don't ya know. And someone has to open the rear doors for the lady
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

all the CFI are belong to me

Well, a simple walk through and commentary won't ruin your chauffeur's jacket and hat...it's a thought An optional one, but a thought.

Guy I know on Facebook up in Memphis MI just picked up an 89 TC, looks fairly clean. I tipped him off about the meet and he may attend.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-01-2018 at 10:12 PM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Good point. We can certainly spectate & stupervise.

OOO, pics? Ashley just brought up box TC life. Says that car gave her the least headaches of all she's owned so far. I feel bad for being responsible for car purchases that followed...

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Well, a simple walk through and commentary won't ruin your chauffeur's jacket and hat...it's a thought An optional one, but a thought.

Guy I know on Facebook up in Memphis MI just picked up an 89 TC, looks fairly clean. I tipped him off about the meet and he may attend.
    Did he get rid of the '85 (I think) TC? My in-laws live in Memphis so I'm up there often, and I told him could help last summer since it had some running issues but we never met up.
    Actually I'll be in Memphis this weekend.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Good point. We can certainly spectate & stupervise.

OOO, pics? Ashley just brought up box TC life. Says that car gave her the least headaches of all she's owned so far. I feel bad for being responsible for car purchases that followed...
    Not sure how he'd feel about that, he's not on the forum and I don't know his reasons for that.

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Did he get rid of the '85 (I think) TC? My in-laws live in Memphis so I'm up there often, and I told him could help last summer since it had some running issues but we never met up.
    Actually I'll be in Memphis this weekend.
    Yeah, that's him. He has some CFI leftover parts for me too, I just haven't been able to get up his way yet.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Yeah, that's him. He has some CFI leftover parts for me too, I just haven't been able to get up his way yet.
    I met him today. This weekend is Memphis days; everyone has yard sales, parade was yesterday, fireworks tonight and other various things going on.
    He lives about a dozen houses down the street from my in-laws. We didn't talk long since he had someone come up interested in the old Simplicity lawn tractor and attachments he had for sale and my wife was ready to hit the next yard sale.

He said depending on his work schedule he may try to make it.
    Vic

~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    Gone but not forgotten:

Two weeks from tomorrow!

I'll be there in my summer beater, aka The Scab.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Yes, was meaning to wake this up again. Let's firm up the location for certain over the weekend...anyone with knowledge of local venues suitable for this event, toss the ideas into the mix.

Halmich Park as last year sounds like the good fallback in the event we can't come up with alternatives.

Belle Isle? Unless I'm mistaken there is plenty of parking. I think I suggested that last year and it was unfavourable due to distance to food, so maybe the question is more "what food is available near Belle Isle".

Anyone familiar with Clique diner just east of downtown? Reviews are good. Might be a bit small.

Personally have eaten at Bucharest Grill, found it very good (specifically noting that their veggies are super fresh and crisp which is critical in any type of pita).

I'll be in the Town Car, but it may be pretty dirty. Depends how the timing works out that morning if I'll be able to wash it.

As was pointed out last year, I live under a rock. I'll be there wherever there ends up being, and am not opposed to Belle Isle.

At this point I hope I get around to vacuuming my car by then. Wash was done last weekend, so maybe a quick wipe down.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Something that occurred to me...maybe there are food trucks on Belle Isle on weekends. Probably not without an event going on, but it's a maybe.

There's gotta be something good in the downtown-midtown area. Will spend some time on The Googles.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.

theres a small chance I'll be in the area at this time, if so i'd love to join!
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

Sweet, a brown LTD, a brown LTC, and a brown (medium rosewood metallic) MGM.
    It would be cool to meet you if you can make it.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I really don't relish in the idea of leaving my TC parked down town anywhere.. Call it paranoia, but the one day I made an exception in parking away from people to avoid door dings is the day my Colorado ended up with one if you catch my drift.

Well, it's a thought. I'm specifically trying to find a place for us to NOT be in a paved parking lot for the initial 'meet' stage of the meet. Hence Belle Isle where there are opportunities to park and then be immediately near the car but not on pavement.

Another thought: if any of us has a fairly portable BBQ (such as a table top one), perhaps going out for food is unnecessary and we can throw something together at the meet location.

Edit: I'm going to withdraw the Belle Isle suggestion as I have just become aware of the following. However, the spirit of the suggestion stands, I think.

"What do I need to access the island now that Belle Isle is a State Park? How much does it cost?

There is no cost to enter the park, however a Recreation Passport is needed to DRIVE onto the island. This costs $11.00/car and $5.oo/motorcycle for Michigan residents and $31.00 for non-Michigan residents. Once purchased, the recreation passport will allow you to visit the island unrestricted until your car registration is due. Upon renewal, check YES! In the Recreation Passport box and you then have access to Michigan’s state parks (including Belle isle) for the ENTIRE YEAR! Recreation passports for commerical buses and limozines cost $16.00 for an annual pass."
    Last edited by kishy; 08-10-2018 at 04:46 PM.

I do have a little table top charcoal grill that I've only used once. I even have a bag of charcoal that will not likely be used any time soon. I also have a camp stove that I got at a yard sale a few years ago and have yet to use.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Southern

Sorry guys. So what do we want to do? Restaurant?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 05 GMC Yukon (tahoe)

I"ve got the recreation passport on my truck since I figure if Ash and I visit state parks and such we'd do it with that thing. ORV and all..

What's wrong with a parking lot? Not knocking your suggestion in anyway but is familiar territory. I've got nothing else to suggest as my mind is soggy cereal most days. I'm down for whatever. Figure we could do that one joint like we did last year or try Red Coat Tavern which is another place just further north on Wootward. Are their parks down there we could crash? NFC but I'm in. Town Car received oil change and chassis lube. On to fixing the radio since it doesn't work for whatever reason and washing & detailing it this coming weekend..

It's Detroit at the end of August in the early afternoon. A parking lot is the least desirable place to be lol. Halmich park affords places to be near cars and not on pavement, but based on last year there may be some competition for that space.

What's the deal with municipalities over there making parks restricted access, pay to play? That's crap. Parks are a big part of the value I expect to get back out of my tax dollars at all government levels, I'd be mad as hell if I had to pay at the gate (the same extending to visitors to my municipality). Or if there was a gate at all. Maybe it's more common here than I think, but my local area doesn't do it.

Spindler Park in Eastpointe also offers a good size parking area directly adjacent to green space, but it's hard to gauge from the map how decent it is or isn't. I only found that while trying to find something on the waterfront. The trade-off with the waterfront is loss of proximity to the more standard food choices.

Lake Front Park in St Clair Shores (but owned by Grosse Pointe Woods) would be nice but again, pay to play, residents only.

Grosse Point Shores park might work. No access restrictions as far as I can tell.

Depending on what food options are amenable to folks, such as Mercury burger bar right in the shadow of Michigan Central Station, maybe something in that area (which may not always be classy but is not awful) might work.

A final alternative suggestion...find someplace Dearborn-ish for the meet and go to Ford's Garage. Busy as hell though, as I understand it, so booking something in advance would likely be necessary.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.

I'm good with wherever we land.

Also may have a coworker coming with his '92 Mustang. He's looking for a Towncar, either late box or early aero, and would love to throw the lightly modified 302 from the mustang into a Towncar.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast