PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: kishy's 1986 Grand Marquis

I would scuff anything I ever want paint to stick to before attempting to paint it. That being said I would just oil undercoat it. As I would do that after painting anyways. In an effort to save cost just choose the oil undercoating.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Oh I'm all for doing work and asking more for the car. I just get irritated when a seller states that in the ad. It's like, why don't you just do the work and then list the car for sale?

Paint the tank! With the van, I just hosed the damn thing down in Krown T40. It's not goin to see salt but I figured I made some new scratches and it was out of the vehicle so why not?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

All my vehicles, except for the '98, have had mice in them. Spring of 2019 when I moved The Scab, to my new place from my parents place (where it sat all winter), it was horrendous smelling. After a thorough vacuuming (mostly the trunk) and riding around with the windows down (no ac anyway) the smell was considerably reduced to an unnoticeable level (for me at least).
    I haven't tried it yet, but I borrowed an ozone generator from a friend with the hope of getting the stench out of the Yukon. He says it works but you need to get rid of the source of the smell or it will return. I haven't had the chance to do a thorough vacuum job in the Yukon so I haven't tried the ozone generator yet.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Factory tanks were not painted. My rusty-ass car lost the original tank to a pinhole that rubbed through under the strap. It was not rusty anywhere, just dirty. Oil it if you're gonna do anything, the paint is going to get scratched to hell installing the tank anyway.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

That matches my experience as well. Factory tanks tend to hold up well. It's the straps, hanger faces, and lines that seem prone to rust. Also, something I was thinking about, on the quick connect fittings; once they are connected pack them with grease. I wonder if that might help them come apart several years later. I think it would have helped in my case. The innards of the female end got stuck on the male end (thanks to rust) when I removed my 7 year old pump hanger assembly to fix a leaky seal. (Perhaps lube the male end before assembly as well.) I ended up breaking the return line and replacing the whole assembly.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-21-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Vic

~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    All my vehicles, except for the '98, have had mice in them. Spring of 2019 when I moved The Scab, to my new place from my parents place (where it sat all winter), it was horrendous smelling. After a thorough vacuuming (mostly the trunk) and riding around with the windows down (no ac anyway) the smell was considerably reduced to an unnoticeable level (for me at least).
    I haven't tried it yet, but I borrowed an ozone generator from a friend with the hope of getting the stench out of the Yukon. He says it works but you need to get rid of the source of the smell or it will return. I haven't had the chance to do a thorough vacuum job in the Yukon so I haven't tried the ozone generator yet.
    The van cleared up something wonderful like when we eradicated all the mice hotels that we found. Haven't tried the Ozone Generator but after steam cleaning the carpet 3x it just smells like grandpa's basement which is good enough for the crowd that will be riding in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Factory tanks were not painted. My rusty-ass car lost the original tank to a pinhole that rubbed through under the strap. It was not rusty anywhere, just dirty. Oil it if you're gonna do anything, the paint is going to get scratched to hell installing the tank anyway.
    Yeah you know, on second thought, I'm an oil guy. To hell with paint. I might paint the tank and then hose Fluid Film or Krown on it afterwards though. Probably just Krown or FF. The replacement tank the PO put on my truck is still rust free despite being bare steel. Coated with Krown plus dust. I dig that stuff. Really messy when working on it but that beats bringing out the blue wrench and all that.

I left the new tank bare in my 90 bare. I regret it to be honest. It’s only seen summer rain once and I see rust. Nothing terrible but any is too much.

I had mice in the headliner of the Rustang. Oh my. What a smell when it sat in the sun. I like mice as little furry friends. I hate once-every-thirty-seconds-mice piss and poo.

all the CFI are belong to me

Decided to meet you guys halfway on the tank...didn't want to strip the existing oily goo off, didn't want to scuff up the finish, but did agree that I wanted something protective on it. Coated it in undercoating. Between the thin sticky oily layer they put on it prior to it going in the box, and the undercoating (plus the fact it is plated), I am sure the outside of this tank will outlast the car.

Filler neck required significant rehab...very rusty inside, pitted badly once rust removed. Friend found a solution for sanding the inside of the filler neck, with sandpaper on the end of a rod attached to a die grinder. I'm sure it has a proper name. I did buy a new filler neck seal (expensive little bastard), but I may have a reusable used one on-hand...need to see if it's squishy enough still.

New Airtex fuel pump hanger assembly will go in. Airtex was the OE that actually made the things when the cars were built (the hanger - pump was a Bosch).

The sending unit will not be salvageable, I am quite sure. I'll try, just for kicks, but I think the metal is significantly compromised. I had another one available that I'm putting in it to plug the hole, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't work. I have a brand new one on the way, which won't be terrible to install even with the tank in the car.

Replaced the fuel filter. Quite possibly the factory original Motorcraft came out.

Replaced the rear shocks. Access is never easier than when the tank is out. I found a set of CC817 sedan cargo coils hanging around and might put them in, the rear sags a bit. But some of it is smaller wheels in the back, so I need to compare some things. I've decided that I'm not buying Monroe shocks for anything ever again...they're garbage, every time. I decided to try another cheap brand, FCS, and we'll see how they do. If they end up being super terrible, maybe there will be another rebate promo on KYBs by that point.

Straps and dowels (painted), tank and filler neck (undercoated) are drying and will be installed tomorrow, tentatively. My goal is to have taken it on a brief test drive by end of day tomorrow.

Last edited by kishy; 10-24-2020 at 09:52 PM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Never been impressed with a set of Monroes, they're usually mushy and they don't seem to hold up well.

I think the sandpaper on the rod thing is properly called a hone, but not sure. Functionally works the same as a dingle ball cylinder hone. Useless if you want proper straight parallel sides but perfectly fine if you just need it clean.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I've got CC817 coils on the '98 and I am pleased with them. I've got Monroe Max-Air socks on the rear of The Scab and I would not buy another set. They're ok if you can get them to hold air, but my go-to rear shocks are Gabriel HiJackers which I have on The Ice car and the '98.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Cool tool and plus one for the double wrench trick.
    ~David~

I just cleaned two fuel tank filler pipes that were rusty and corroded. I used a furnace brush inside the tube to remove the scaly stuff, put the gas caps on and rinsed the insides with Acetone. I let them air dry and then filled them with Red-coat gas tank sealer. Poured the excess back in the can to save it for other gas tank jobs. I also dipped the bottom end of the filler pipes to cover the rust on the outside. WagonMan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIN_20201025_11_38_21_Pro.jpg  
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

I've briefly looked into Red-Kote before, it's a product I'm intending to get some of in the future. For this filler neck, I got it as de-rusted as practical, sandblasted it a bit further, then just put it in...figured I'll start hoarding good junkyard filler necks as I find them and by the time this one is an issue again I should have a good one ready to go. I actually do have a spare sedan filler neck as it is, but it needs metal repair. Not rusty, just some sort of weird failure where the two pieces get put together near the gas cap.

Today, got the tank assembled and put into the car. Used a mostly-good (little jumpy but works) sending unit I had hanging around.
    Swapped the rear springs out for CC817s, but finding the car is a bit harsh now (I may have just ruined the surprise).
    Deleted a mouse nest from the air filter box, put a new filter in.
    Starts, runs, shifts, drives, and stops!

Has a bad miss on probably only one cylinder. Drives like it has 2.73 gears, no door sticker so unsure at this time what it has, but it does drive like 2.73s. Some sort of nasty driveline shudder as well, might be a seized U-joint since it got better after putting some kilometres on.

Still a lot more to come, and soon. Finishing undercoating on the tank is coming quick. Just left the bottom clean to make installation suck less.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Were those overheads taken with the drone you recently acquired? Or neighboring building?
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-26-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: hehe spelling
    ~David~

Dude, those aerial shots are awesome.

Everyone shits on the monroe shocks but the ones I put on my Town Car are still doing fabulous after some six years and change.

Taken with the drone, from inside the car! Combo test drive and showing friend the drone.

Those headlights seem like they actually light up the road... What do you have in them?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    I've never seen a breaded and deep fried sender before.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

fomoco panthers !

Looks like something you would find on the bottom of the ocean from WW2

The headlights, IIRC, are Sylvania. Colour temperature makes me think they're Xtravision. They do not seem to be SilverStar. They're kind of crap to be honest, but that might be a voltage thing.

The deep-fried fuel sender amazingly does work, so I'm going to try to save it...I do of course suspect the metal is seriously compromised and may just fall apart but we'll see.

Progress for today @ 195,867km

Replaced the U-joints in pursuit of the driveline vibration noticed when driving it after the fuel tank went in. One joint was seized. New ones went in.

Replaced the spark plugs chasing the misfire. Autolite copper came out in decent condition. Motorcraft copper went in. Found cap and rotor are in poor condition and plug wire routing may be encouraging inductive cross-firing.

Inspected front end for play (found only a little bit of slop in bearings, which will be repacked), inspected rear axle for bearing play (found none), inspected rear brakes for condition (found they were rebuilt with new stuff including cylinders recently by mileage, they look fantastic). Swapped the original coil springs back in the rear to see if it fixes the rock-hard awful ride I noticed after putting on the cheap shocks and CC817 springs.

The trans mount is toast (the mount itself - not the crossmember, that is fine). I think I have one hanging around. Might also not bother, depending on how things sound and feel.

Test drive shows misfire remains, so will proceed with further ignition stuff.
    Test drive did show driveline vibration is gone (coast at road speed in neutral to isolate it from the misfire).
    Car starts easily with no drama and seems to run strong even considering the misfire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast