No announcement yet.

EFI wows, about to scrap it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the regular odometer work? If it does, you could always just make a note of the mileage when you start and deduct that from the mileage when you stop...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      I don't think Ashley's Mark VII is right either. But it also does that thing where it flashes "0 DTE" when we flip the key on or start it so I think that's what is confusing it.
      That has a fuel level sending unit or ground issue. That's what ails the tripminder.

Comment

they tend to do that on the Mark VII. Might be the tripminder needs a rebuild too. Digidash doesn't have the antislosh module to throw into the mix, but thats another thing that causes that issue on analog dash cars. The DTE thing is way off base on those anyway. Full tank says like 430 miles, reality is about 350 at best, and it takes approximately 10 miles driving to go from 50 miles to empty to 0 mile to empty on the trippy thing. The average fuel economy number tends to be accurate though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          That has a fuel level sending unit or ground issue. That's what ails the tripminder.
          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          they tend to do that on the Mark VII. Might be the tripminder needs a rebuild too. Digidash doesn't have the antislosh module to throw into the mix, but thats another thing that causes that issue on analog dash cars. The DTE thing is way off base on those anyway. Full tank says like 430 miles, reality is about 350 at best, and it takes approximately 10 miles driving to go from 50 miles to empty to 0 mile to empty on the trippy thing. The average fuel economy number tends to be accurate though.
          Where would you guys start to look? Gadget, by rebuild what does that mean? Like, can I get parts over the counter such as caps and what not? Funny thing is a lot of the times just sitting there it will begin to read more than 0 DTE and always does when driving. The average fuel economy does indeed seem to be accurate. When we got it the odometer displayed "error" but I fixed that by cleaning the pins & injecting dielectric schmoo in there, never had a problem with that since. Figured I needed to do that with the tripminder thing too in order to fix the beeping 0 DTE crap. Compass also took a dump. The reset doesn't do anything. Starting to feel much better about my analog cluster Town Car...

Comment

Does the regular odometer work? If it does, you could always just make a note of the mileage when you start and deduct that from the mileage when you stop...
            Nah neither of them work. Just need to quit being a lazyass and put in the other cluster. Just can't seem to scrape together time to do anything these days. Day 10 in a row of work and it's been hot as balls here too.

Comment

Colder than a witch's titty in tinfoil over here. I like it though. At least when you get hot as sweaty balls from workin' you can stand still and cool off.

Comment

I was going to replace fuel filter since it is un-known when if ever it has been replaced. I got a Fram but it does not come with new O-rings which I have seen recommended to replace at the same time. Is it just a standard 5/8" O-ring from Autozone or is there a specific part number ? Was also going to start on suspension this weekend.

Comment

The o-rings are usually not an issue unless you get a filter with a burr on it that slices the o-rings. The ones on the Mad Marquis (88 MGM) are still original I think. Work fine as of when I sold it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

x2 on that, I've done fuel filters twice each on my 84 and 91, didn't replace O-rings and have no leaks. It's the sort of thing that might be smart to have on hand, though.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

They're just O rings, but they have to be something fuel compatible. Pretty sure its the same O ring the fuel injectors use though. I've also never replaced mine, they're original from 1986 as far as I know.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, by rebuild what does that mean? Like, can I get parts over the counter such as caps and what not?
                        yeah, new caps from Mouser, and swap the board off with alcohol to mop up any shite they may have leaked out. Not an absolute guarantee to fix it but it usually helps. Also helps with general braindead type problems. At one point mine was flashing between functions, time was running backwards, and it was randomly beeping and going generally batshit crazy. Fun to look at but really annoying to deal with while driving. The digital dash cars have a different fuel sender, I don't believe its the goofy dual resistance thing that the analog cars got.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          yeah, new caps from Mouser, and swap the board off with alcohol to mop up any shite they may have leaked out. Not an absolute guarantee to fix it but it usually helps. Also helps with general braindead type problems. At one point mine was flashing between functions, time was running backwards, and it was randomly beeping and going generally batshit crazy. Fun to look at but really annoying to deal with while driving. The digital dash cars have a different fuel sender, I don't believe its the goofy dual resistance thing that the analog cars got.
                          Is there a kit or do you have to know which ones? Also, thank you for the info. Can be a project for me. Was also thinking about swapping out the digi dash but don't feel like changing the sending unit in the tank to do it. Would that be a direct swap in terms of the cluster and associated trim & wiring harness?

Comment

I may have a cap list out in the shop for the tripminder. I'll check after dinner. Definitely do not have one for the digital dash.

Analog dash is apparently very different than the digital. As far as I know nobody has done a swap between them but I've never looked deep into it. I didn't want to deal with it so I bought an LSC that has proper gauges.

Comment

Right, I'd rather do an LSC myself. This car just sort of happened upon us lol. Since it was the right vintage (90-92) and had all the parts needed to replace the bent ones (minus a bumper, some trim and a fender) and I couldn't find anything wrong with it mechanically it was just too good to harvest. Was supposed to be an HO donor for my TC. Then Ashley liked it and so I gifted it to her...

Any luck on that cap list? Guess I could be the guinea pig for the LSC cluster swap. As long as the fuel gauge kinda works I won't mind it but would certainly love to have an actual temp gage and a tach, not to mention a speedo that goes over 85.

Comment

Right, I'd rather do an LSC myself. This car just sort of happened upon us lol. Since it was the right vintage (90-92) and had all the parts needed to replace the bent ones (minus a bumper, some trim and a fender) and I couldn't find anything wrong with it mechanically it was just too good to harvest. Was supposed to be an HO donor for my TC. Then Ashley liked it and so I gifted it to her...

Any luck on that cap list? Guess I could be the guinea pig for the LSC cluster swap. As long as the fuel gauge kinda works I won't mind it but would certainly love to have an actual temp gage and a tach, not to mention a speedo that goes over 85.
                                Fuel gauge will not work. You will have to change the sender if you have a digital dash and are going to an analog dash.

Comment

Working...
                                X