Derek's 1988 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Ah, junk yard only part. Greeat. Hmm, the wipers do not park in the fully down position, never have. They go down about halfway and then stop. Never bothered with it as I seldom drive it in the rain, so I just push them back down whenever they've been used. Is there a way to test the pivots or bushings? Everything seemed firm when I tried to jiggle it the other day.
    Well you ought to adjust the wiper clocking then, might be able to get rid of the overtravel with just that. On mine the left hits the a pillar trim in higher speeds, I was only able to find slop in the ball socket joint on the arm coming off the motor itself. Couldn't do anything about it...
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I kept bumping the wiper arms lower, and the slop just kept getting worse and un-fixing my fix, until I discovered what was actually at fault. YMMV.
      Newer years like this should have the cast metal (unclear what metal, but some sort of metal) pivot assembly with 2 screws rather than the earlier plastic part with 3 screws. If you do have the metal one, I'd certainly try just clocking the wiper arms lower. While you're there, shoot some sort of oil into the pivot assembly (ideally both). It'll turbo charge your wiper speed.

This is touched on in this reply and a few above and below it, plus a video link: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...29#post1235989

Your double-reply suggests you're using a browser where you haven't fixed the settings for HTTP+HTTPS mixed content for the site to work properly. Highly recommend doing so if you're able.

Current drivers: wagon + 91
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
        I kept bumping the wiper arms lower, and the slop just kept getting worse and un-fixing my fix, until I discovered what was actually at fault. YMMV.
        Newer years like this should have the cast metal (unclear what metal, but some sort of metal) pivot assembly with 2 screws rather than the earlier plastic part with 3 screws. If you do have the metal one, I'd certainly try just clocking the wiper arms lower. While you're there, shoot some sort of oil into the pivot assembly (ideally both). It'll turbo charge your wiper speed.

This is touched on in this reply and a few above and below it, plus a video link: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...29#post1235989

Your double-reply suggests you're using a browser where you haven't fixed the settings for HTTP+HTTPS mixed content for the site to work properly. Highly recommend doing so if you're able.
        How do I fix the HTTP+HTTPS settings? I tried to delete the double post, it said "no."

I'll have to check that video link out, a little confused about the clocking as I didn't think you could do that with the wiper motor. Guessing you can just clock the arm and not the wiper..
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
        X