No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden voyage of 2023, but after I got a new battery since the old batteries were not doing well last fall. The battery that came with this car seems to take a charge ok, but still wasn't doing well. The battery that had been in The Ice Car wasn't taking a charge at fist (last fall) and seemed like it had a dead cell based on the voltage level after being on the charger a few days. The one that came with this car is 8 years old, the one from The Ice Car was 6 years old. Since the one from The Ice Car seemed to behave worse, that battery was taken in for the core. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if the new battery drains down like the old. If it does drain I get to chase a parasitic draw. Last fall was the first I noticed the poor battery behavior; all previous winters I could let this car sit all winter (about 5-6 months) and it would start right up every year.

Things I noticed today:
    The exhaust is a little loud, probably the air injection tube on the p-side cat.
    The ride feels less firm/confident compared to the '98. Hard to believe I used to DD this thing, although I believe the squish is the rear Monroe air shocks that probably are completely deflated.
    Lights in the doors seemed dimmer than I thought they should be, so that will be a consideration as I observe how things go with the new battery. The dome light seemed fine but I think it's LED and the door lights are not.
    Brakes felt perfectly fine, so the line replacement and bleeding done last year really helped.
    Acceleration was fine as well. I was actually anticipating Private Messages spark plug to be fouled since it likes to do that and I didn't look up the last time cleaned or replaced that plug.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 04-10-2023, 05:03 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Starts right up even after short trips not long enough to recharge the battery power used for starting. Was out a little later this evening and the door lights look fine when it's no so bright out. So I think I was just seeing incandescent door lights compared to LED dome light in bright sunlight. So it looks like no parasitic draw to chase, just crappy old batteries.

Still need to air up the rear air shocks. Also need to decide what I'm doing for tires since these tires are way overdue for replacement. Sometime in the next month I'll probably end up getting new tires for the '98 on JY unused/barely used spare wheels (thanks old people who never used your full size spares, LOL) and swap the factory '98 tear drops to this car. I'll have to get a picture at that time.
      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I might actually be doing something with this car at some point this year. We'll see if I get to it.
        It needs control arm bushings, so I suppose I might as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230415_120533044.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	1387787
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Oh yes
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Oh yeah. You know...while you are in there things.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Step 1 completed yesterday.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230506_122746543.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1388422
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Those wheels really look nice on there!
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, the "tear drop" wheels do look spiffy!
                  What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Thanks, I think they look better on this car than on the '98. Hoarding all the unused/barely used full sized spares I can find in the JYs to have a nice set of black wheels for the '98 to replace this set. Think I have 4, now I just need new tires for that set of wheels.

Dad was out on his tractor mowing yesterday. After that I helped him fix the seized latch on his tailgate (blue Dodge in the picture). He said it looked pretty good from a distance, LOL. We were chatting about what a rot box this car is, but how it hasnt gotten much worse since I bought it in 2016 because I haven't driven it during winter.

At some point I'll be able to put the front center caps on. The most work ever just to get center caps on, LOL.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

You know, I really don't like those wheels on any car I've seen them on yet (obviously generally 98-02s), but they work pretty well here.

Preserving 15" wheel fitment (prioritizing form over function) was why I only went with 95-97 brakes on my wagon, rather than 98-02 brakes. 95-97 still buys you a few benefits over stock like much improved caliper slide design, modestly larger diameter rotors, and sealed hub bearings. But if 15" wheels aren't a priority, 98-02 is the way to go.

Current driver: wagon
                      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                      | 88 TC | 91 GM
                      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

It's good to see that car kickin' around. I think some factory black steelies would look wonderful on it. But yeah, clearance is an issue with the bigger brakes and different hub? I drove my Townie today, love the brakes on it, they're RIGHT there. So when you get done with your swap, I'd like to do some A/B comparison testing to put some real-world measurements on performance. Plus if you drive the thing you can tell me if I've got the typical, "Oh my god, these suck!" box brakes and I'm just used to them, or if yep, you can stop with confidence. I've never had to swerve to stop safely in the thing, but others have had to swerve to miss jamming into me.
                        Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-09-2023, 07:32 AM.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The real need is control arm bushings, but like David said, while I'm in there I might as well.
                          The brakes on this car I was used to but after driving the '98 I then going back to this car I realized how much they suck. A good bleed session sorted that and they actually seem fine now,

Black steelies on the '98 all the way, not sure I'd like the look on this car. Sort of like how these wheels are kind of blah on the '98 in my opinion but look better on this car.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I wish the newer panthers were out there here in Finland, I'd nab some spindles and brakes for a rainy day.
                            Myself I'd probably want to keep the possibility for 15" wheels, though my main point to doing the upgrade would be just for getting different wheels to fit. Also I'm not stuck in the world of only OEM wheels.
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The black steelies would give it a tough look combined with the faded chocolate paint.

I like the brakes on my turd, feel it stops with confidence. Better than my '89 K1500, and I keep the brakes up on that just as well as the Lincoln.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The black steelies definitely did that for The Ice Car. Not sure how I'd like them paired with the color of this car though. I may be throwing some black steelies on the front to save some wear on tires I care about.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X