PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weatherstrip and dew wipe sources

Default Weatherstrip and dew wipe sources

This thread is for all the rubber bits that keep the rain out.

Post your findings in this thread. We'll try to keep the list in the first post updated.

Trunk weatherstrip: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Moulded-...dp/B0072GV0CM/

Window dew wipe: http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fai...per+seal,12406
    Alternate: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s.../FAI13694.html
    Alternate: http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta.../FAI13694.html
    Alternate: https://autoplicity.com/3241936-fair...w-scraper-seal

Window channel: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/me...+channel,12412
    Alternate: http://metrommp.com/?f=type_detail&M...%26%20Sweepers
    Last edited by sly; 08-09-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Useful info and a great idea to put it all in one place!

Please limit posts to this thread to information about new/additional sources or existing sources disappearing.

All other posts will be deleted/moved.

Thank you, drive through.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

sly, you're the man. Been thinking about replacing the trunk weatherstripping for a while now- there's a gap in the middle where the latch is. Never had water in the trunk, but I'd rather not let it get to that point. That, coupled with all the rain we've been having recently prompted the purchase. New window channels and dew wipes too!
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Summer 2019 plans: Aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Winter 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance.

Hobbit

For trunk weatherstrip I went to a junkyard and grabbed a weatherstrip off a newer Suburban. It's longer than box strip. Trimmed it to fit, worked like a charm.

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Window dew wipe: ...
    Alternate: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s.../FAI13694.html
    Can confirm after receiving product from APW, that "FAI13694" is quantity 1, 48" length of the correct dew wipe material.
    Also this vendor has coupon codes out there, so don't just pull the trigger without investigating that first.

The price also dropped from $26.46 to $18.59 following my purchase, so...you're welcome?
    Last edited by kishy; 06-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Does that material come with the staples, or do you know of a source for them?

Same question for the clips that stake into it to actually hold the seal and trim piece in place on the door?
    Last edited by gadget73; 06-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

FYI RockAuto has finally restocked WC 33-96 window channel (search WC3396). It's currently 18USD each (WC style 33, 96" length section). Don't forget to use a 5%-off code.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Does that material come with the staples, or do you know of a source for them?

Same question for the clips that stake into it to actually hold the seal and trim piece in place on the door?
    Missed this. Bare material only, no hardware at all. I do not know a source for adequate hardware.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Updated the links in the first post to include RA for window channel.

Got a cool email this morning...dew wipe is back in stock at RockAuto after many months of not being so. Fairchild must still be making the stuff. Existing link in OP is still valid.

Window channel: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/me...+channel,12412

I wonder if this one is good for the door frame channel or the vent black channel that is a little bit smaller.
    Last edited by sly; 08-29-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: fixed link
    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

V8 addict and rescuer of unsaleable Full Sizes

The dew wipes on my CP are rubber outside and felt inside the window glass. Do you guys use the same, i.e. rubber, for both sides? There is no felt, I suppose, or we havenīt found it yet?

On the channels, mine again are (or the remains look like) rubber outside and felt inside. Plus, the gap in the middle is like 1/3rd inside, 2/3rds outside the glass (refer to picture, to the left of chrome trim). The recommended replacement rather is 50/50?

Regards, Alex

I hope itīs ok to ask this question here, if not move it:

On my CP I have another moulding/weather strip (or rather the bone-dry remains) in the front doors:

This photo is tilted 90° to the left. It shows the "A-Pillar part" of the passenger door. The moulding runs from the vertical part into the horizontal part and then is broken off or maybe the seal or whatever it is just stops there.

This is NOT the door weatherstrip. It rather looks like a wind deflector or sound deadener or body-to-door seal or something to make the vehicle quieter inside. It is so dried up and brittle I canīt even tell if itīs plastic or rubber. Since itīs a Mercury it may well be that CVs donīt have it.

Does anybody know what this is and where to get replcement?
    Regards, Alex

Quote Originally Posted by colonel328 View Post
    I hope itīs ok to ask this question here, if not move it:

On my CP I have another moulding/weather strip (or rather the bone-dry remains) in the front doors:

This photo is tilted 90° to the left. It shows the "A-Pillar part" of the passenger door. The moulding runs from the vertical part into the horizontal part and then is broken off or maybe the seal or whatever it is just stops there.

This is NOT the door weatherstrip. It rather looks like a wind deflector or sound deadener or body-to-door seal or something to make the vehicle quieter inside. It is so dried up and brittle I canīt even tell if itīs plastic or rubber. Since itīs a Mercury it may well be that CVs donīt have it.

Does anybody know what this is and where to get replcement?
    All mercs and cv boxes had that piece of weatherstripping that runs along the metal trim. It looks like quite a specific piece. I have not looked for a replacement before. They all seem t be brittle and hard as a rock.

For the dew wipes the ones I installed were rubber outside and felt inside. Same for the window channel weatherstripping.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Are those the ones mentioned in the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by colonel328 View Post
    Are those the ones mentioned in the first post?

This is what I have :http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=dew+wipes

and

Metro Molded Parts INC. Passengers and Drivers Side Window Channel Weatherstripping (WC 33-96)

I am very happy with these pieces on my car. I am quite the perfectionist as well. The window channel weatherstripping takes some skill to install and make it seamless.....cutting the back side multiple times over a large span to get it around a corner while the front visible portion remains uncut.
    ~David~

Yeah, I read this, great writeup! Any reason why you didn’t just cut the angles 45 degrees?

To be honest some of the angles are sweeping and not a hard 90. I have vent windows on my car so I have a couple extra angles to deal with.

By cutting the weatherstripping in many small cuts up in the corners it more fully seals.

Think of a slinky making a bend. It has all of those coils filling in a corner. Now take that slinky and divide it in half between two hands and make that same bend. One cut on the weatherstripping and entire corner would be absent up in the channel.
    ~David~

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I made the angle cuts on mine but one isn't quite right. There is a small gap and it leaks air, and a bit of water if I go through a car wash. If I had to do it again I'd probably try the multi cut method. Its a bit difficult to get perfect cuts on this, it sort of mushes out of the way and throws you off.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

One can place a stiff cardboard inside of the channel to help with the cuts. The cardboard will provide support to the weatherstripping while you make your slices.
    ~David~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast