Lincoln logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln logs

I have a set of Lincoln logs. I'm gonna put them on my 88 MGM i just have one question do they need exhaust gasket because when I took them off I don't remember seeing and on the 90 tc they came off from

I had planned on using gaskets when I was going to swap them onto my '85 vic. I can't imagine it would be a bad idea to use gaskets if they originally used them or not.

Also, I had heads that I thought had no gaskets on them, but I missed on the casual glance because they get all squashed and gunky. Maybe you were so thrilled and excited by your find that you overlooked the gaskets? I know that could happen to me!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

If they are like the stock manifolds there there is no gasket. For the stock manifolds I was told it had something to do with cast iron manifolds bolting to cast iron heads but I never asked why the metal used made a difference.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I would use a gasket.

Comment

Related question about these as I have a set I'll be installing as well:

Is there a direct fit stud available on the market or is it best to drill the threads out and just use normal bolts?

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

You mean the studs that the cats/down pipe mount to?

If Lincoln Logs use the same studs as a box, order studs for a 1980 MGM (DORMAN 03099, Size: 7/16"-14 x 2-1/4"). You'll need 2 since they come in packs of 3 studs.
            DO NOT order DORMAN 03129, Size: M12-1.75 x 62mm, these DO NOT fit box manifolds.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
              You mean the studs that the cats/down pipe mount to?

If Lincoln Logs use the same studs as a box, order studs for a 1980 MGM (DORMAN 03099, Size: 7/16"-14 x 2-1/4"). You'll need 2 since they come in packs of 3 studs.
              DO NOT order DORMAN 03129, Size: M12-1.75 x 62mm, these DO NOT fit box manifolds.
              Yes, for the connection to the cats.

Interesting you mentioned those, I already have some 03129s on hand and know they don't fit the '90 Lincoln ones from experience.

I'll see if I can find 03099 in stock locally and check fitment with them. They do seem a bit short but I also haven't tried to mock it up yet so maybe it's plenty of stud, I don't know.

Current driver: wagon
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

So the Lincoln Logs probably use the same studs as box manifolds. The 03099s are what I have on The Ice Car, there's plenty of stud to get the nut on. Once tightened there's enough room to get another nut on the stud, probably no more than that but they're plenty long enough to do the job.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Before painted, weight (by the way I weight 180 😂 The scale wouldn't let me weigh it) So I guess 17lbs each stocks and 6.??lbs Logs and last pic is after paint

Comment

Holy cow shit, the stockers weigh 17lbs a pop? Nasty. I've never seen Linkin' Logs up close, they honestly don't look so bad. I was thinking of doing BBK headers if I went through with the HO swap on my TC but I might re think that now as those aren't half bad and would save me from having to re work my exhaust again.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I would clean the cylinder heads and manifold flanges very well. I would use *good* gaskets, and I always coat both sides of the gasket evenly with a piss coat of high temp RTV. I despise exhaust leaks.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        I would clean the cylinder heads and manifold flanges very well. I would use *good* gaskets, and I always coat both sides of the gasket evenly with a piss coat of high temp RTV. I despise exhaust leaks.
                        It's why I want to leave my manifolds alone on my CP. They don't leak. I had a 93 F150 Flareside that somebody put chrome shorty's on long ago and they warped at the heads once and then kept leaking at the collector flange.
                        1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                        2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                        1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                        2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                        2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                        2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                        2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                          Yes, for the connection to the cats.

Interesting you mentioned those, I already have some 03129s on hand and know they don't fit the '90 Lincoln ones from experience.

I'll see if I can find 03099 in stock locally and check fitment with them. They do seem a bit short but I also haven't tried to mock it up yet so maybe it's plenty of stud, I don't know.
                          If you haven't picked up the 03099 studs, it looks like DORMAN 03135 should also work.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I dunno, had cheapass ebay shorties on the other car with no leaks. They were on it for about a year, and on 2 different sets of heads. Lincoln logs are nice in that they bolt to stock downpipes though.

Comment

I have cheap ones on my car, after a few years of monthly bolt re-torquing and quarterly gasket replacements I had them milled flat and have not had problems in years. Probably could have just gotten a new set of good ones for all the headaches these put me through and not had any problems.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X